Baby boy ate mouse dropping in his cot after mum forced to live in infested flat

A mum has told of the terrifying moment she had to take her baby boy to hospital after he ate a mouse dropping.

She claims the rodent had crawled into one-year-old Tommy’s cot and had defecated.

Tommy then picked up the dropping and ate it, which gave him a nasty virus.

The tot’s mum, Kelly Angus says living in her flat that is infested with mice has given caused her mental health to deteriorate and she has had to seek help for it, MyLondon reports.

The 23-year-old was moved into the property in Benhill Wood Road in Sutton in May this year and says she has caught more than 20 mice since then.



Kelly Angus and her baby Tommy have been living in the dirty flat since May this year

She said: “Tommy is constantly sick and coughing. He is projectile vomiting, he is constantly getting a fever.”

Kelly said she had to take him to St Helier Hospital last month after he ate a mouse dropping that was in his cot.

She said: “I went to check on him at about 1am and I saw he had eaten the poo. I grabbed him and thought he would be alright.

“[But] when I took his temperature it was 40, so I took him to hospital. When they took it a couple of hours later after giving him paracetamol it went down to 38.”

Tommy was in the hospital for around seven hours in total.

“They told me to give him ibuprofen and if anything changes to call someone,” said Kelly. “They said he had picked up a virus.”



The mouse droppings found in the flat
The mouse droppings found in the flat

The first floor flat has one bedroom, which is Tommy’s room while Kelly sleeps on a sofa bed in the lounge.

But since the incident they sleep in the same bed as Kelly is scared mice will crawl on Tommy while he sleeps.

On a visit to Kelly’s flat, mouse droppings could be seen in a cupboard in the bedroom and in kitchen cabinets.

When we visited, Tommy was staying with his grandmother and Kelly said his health, including a persistent cough, had cleared up in just a few days away from the flat.

The mum says she has been complaining to Sutton Housing Partnership (SHP), which manages Sutton Council’s homes, since she moved in but claims a maintenance worker only came round once to set traps.



Kelly says the issue is causing her mental health to deteriorate
Kelly says the issue is causing her mental health to deteriorate

Kelly has been setting her own traps and trying to fill in any gaps she can find, but says despite this the mice are chewing through her food, furniture and baby’s clothes.

She says that last week she was given an emergency loan by Sutton Council to get a new fridge freezer after mice chewed through the wires on her one, spoiling all her food.

“I see them running and playing quite a few of them come out at once, you can hear them in the walls and ceiling,” said Kelly.



Kelly Angus and her one-year-old son are forced to live in a dirty flat infested with mice
Kelly Angus and her one-year-old son are forced to live in a dirty flat infested with mice

“The council put poison down and I smell the dead mice, that’s why everything gets bleached and I always have scented candles on.

“My mental health has gone completely down, I went to the doctors and they have given me counselling.

“The first time I saw a mouse was May 20.”

She added: “I just want to be somewhere that I feel clean, somewhere where the baby is happy.”



Kelly says the issue is making Tommy poorly
Kelly says the issue is making Tommy poorly

Kelly had been in three different studio flats in Thornton Heath and Coulsdon before moving to Benhill Wood Road.

In the past few weeks she has also noticed a damp patch forming on one of the walls and orange mould on the ceiling of her son’s bedroom.

A spokesperson for SHP said the company is “doing all it can” to resolve the infestation.

They said: “Our pest control contractor has visited regularly since her first report and will inspect the rest of the block again this week to see if treating a wider area will help.



Mouse droppings in the flat
Mouse droppings seen in the flat

“Our pest control contractor has contacted residents in the block and will be treating the issue until it’s resolved.”

The spokesperson added it will also investigate concerns about damp in the flat.

Kelly told the Local Democracy Reporting Service that SHP has said she can be moved to a studio flat, but this would involve paying to put many of her belongings into storage as they would not fit.

She added: “Mentally I cannot do this. I have all my furniture and cannot afford storage.”